Friday, July 4, 2008

10 Days in Cabo

I guess I didn't really mention "Why Italy?" in my last post. Put simply, it was a no-brainer for me. I've always wanted to visit, always wanted to learn the language, my parents lived there for a few years and my brother was born there. I'm also half Italian by my dad's side. Can you tell? My other choices were Portugal, Spain or Switzerland.

Anyways, on to Mexico. We left on the 29th, and I won't go into too much detail because I don't know who would want to read about that. In short we spent 10 days in Cabo San Lucas, and I actually got the e-mail from AFS with my host family right in the middle of our vacation. I was paying for an hour on the computer in a cafe, so I didn't have much time to look it up. Details to come in my next post.

The main highlight of the vacation was deep sea fishing with my brothers and my dad. We got up at six in the morning and spent around 7-8 hours out in the ocean. Right away we caught a striped marlin that weighed around 140 lbs, and my brothers named him Dontrelle. I was assigned photographer for that part of the trip; the pictures are on my facebook if you are bored enough to look at them. After around 3 hours of absolutely nothing, we came across another marlin but lost it. In the same area there were tons of dolphins, so that was fun to see. Then came Clarence the 3rd [this is the phenomenal name I came up with for him]. Somehow I got roped into reeling him in. Turns out it was a Jack Caravelle, which isn't a marlin by any means, but it is by far the biggest fish I've ever caught. Again, pictures are on the facebook. On our way in my dad caught a bonita tuna, so our amigo Martin filleted it right there, and we ate if for dinner later. Haha -- now this sounds so gross, but it was really good!

Aside from the fishing, it was mostly just laying out in the sun and swimming in the ocean. I read three different books (dork much?) and managed to get a sufficient sunburn. All things considered, it was a good vacation.

Adiós y Adora Siempre.

No comments: