Saturday, July 5, 2008

La Mia Famiglia Italiana

The day has finally come where I can actually say I have a host family, and I know where I'm going in Italy. As soon as I saw the e-mail from AFS, I pretty much wanted to jump up and down. Needless to say, I didn't jump up and down; I didn't think it would go over well in a public cafe. Ah, well. I was jumping up and down on the inside, haha.

The city I will be living in is Crevoladossola, which is a small town about 30 km from the Swiss border. It has a population of around 4,600, but it's not too far away from the larger city of Domodossola, where I will likely end up going to school. It is located in the Piedmont region in the province of Verbania. I think it's about an hour and a half from Milano, and 130 km n/e of Torino. Since I'll be in the mountains, the winter will be looong and the summer will be relatively mild. The skiing should be pretty crazy!

My host padre is a fireman and my host madre is a physiotherapist. I will have a younger sister named Giorgia who will be turning 12 in August. I'll be sharing a room with her while I'm there -- this should be fun since I've always been the youngest and only have brothers. Apparently, they speak English (that's a relief!), German and Spanish in addition to Italian, and Giorgia plays the guitar and the flute. She also plays sports like basketball and volleyball. They sound pretty active as a family, so at least I won't be bored. Still, how can you be bored in such a beautiful country?

Hopefully I will find out more once I start e-mailing them on a regular basis. They seem pretty busy, so I might not hear from them as often as I might hope. I'll probably add other random details about the AFS pre-departure meetings and other items like that in the meantime.

Auf Wiedersehen und liebt immer.

No comments: